Part of my short stories in construction projects
Current World Building Site for the Time of Nativia if anyone wants to write in the world. Please feel free to email potential changes for those nations you may know more about than me, also info to flesh things out, or additions of new nations that you may want to add. Also, send any links to stories you write so I can add the link to the bottom of the page.
In the Time of Nativia, European Colonialism never occurred. The Zulu invaded England and the surrounding islands after first-contact. The shock of African invaders drove Europe into a frenzy soon quelled as the Aztecs landed in Spain citing their myths of having taken in lost peoples from across the oceans as proof of their right to this land. They were followed by the Inca coming to ground in Portugal who soon also took the lands of those who had been Romans. The Covenant of the Matriarch, called the Ice Nation by most, spread across the North of all the world and the Haudenosaunee Republic joined the division of Europe by taking what was once France into their fold. Now generations later the Zulus are considering granting the Islands their independence, a move most do not believe a European country could be ready for. The fear of a newly freed people known to be warlike destabilizing Europe has many a nation on edge; and not a few nations hungry to usurp the newly opened lands.
Covenant of the Matriarch; i.e. Matriarchy, i.e. The Ice Nation,
- Created from the Inupiat
- Controlling the entire Northern world including but not limited to, Siberia, Alaska, Most of Canada, Iceland, Greenland, Russia, and a sprinkling of islands and Scandinavian holdings.
- Contains a diverse group including Inuit, a mix of northern tribes, Vikings, several Scandinavian groups, Siberians, some Russians, etc.
- Though they have the Matriarch and their ruling council they do not have a true centralized system of government, with each group that joins benefiting from the open borders and increased trade in exchange for following the Covenant and sending citizens to join the trade, admin, and defense societies for the good of all.
- Soon to be joined by the Salish Confederate and was requested to send representatives to the Mongols.
- Heavy trade power. They do not believe in violence, but they do believe in control through trade. Mostly they attempt to become so important to other nations that those nations will choose to join them voluntarily and Sign the Covenant of the Matriarch.
- Increases size by organically convincing others to join. Those that join must sign the Covenant of the Matriarch. Those wishing to join will sign the “First Generation Concord” which allows that the joining will be unbreakable until the death of the baby that is first born after the Concord is signed. At that death, the two countries will vote on making the joining permanent.
- The Salish Confederate once attacked the Ice Nation over trade monopolies in what was called the “One Day War.” The only time the Ice Nation has ever fought more than a skirmish. They crushed the Salish forces in a single day due to weaponry brought in from Asia. The two have worked together since in an attempt to heal the wounds of the war, and have become a powerful set of allies.
- Controlling the Pacific NorthWest, Parts of California, and as far west as Montana.
- Moving to join the Ice Nation. The other nations fear this, due to the combined trading power and land base it will create.
- They are a powerful nation in their own right, only thinking of signing the Covenant to increase their own trade potential.
- Once attacked the Ice Nation due to feeling trapped along their coastline by both the Ice Nation and the Hawai’ian Empire. This lead to the One Day War when they ran up against weaponry the Ice Nation had learned from their Asian trade partners.
- Part of their terms to signing is that men gain full voting rights within the nation. The Ice Nation has already agreed, and the signing commences.
- Have offered to join the Ice Nation. The Chinese fear this as they are at war with the Mongols. The Mongols are worried about joining with the larger nation but feel they need to, to protect themselves from the Chinese who continue to push into their territory now that they are overextended with conquests.
- Toklo’s daughter and second wife have traveled to the Mongolian capital to discuss the potential combination in secret.
- They are a powerful nation weakened with overextension.
- Their terms for joining or what it will mean have not yet been negotiated.
- Control of the North American East Coast,
- Started with a band of tribes working together now cover almost the entire east coast (though there are holdouts) and France.
- Claim to want peace, but often act aggressively when needed.
- They are many separate nation states that have separate laws, but a connecting Federal Government. One of these states is France, and areas around France in Europe. They have an eye on growing once the Zulu leave, or at the very least wish to keep the Aztec from increasing their hold in Europe.
- Control the Southwest of North America.
- Peaceful, farmers, and traders mostly. Neutral to most tensions.
- Holding the conference that Toklo is attending. He is only in town because his first wife is there in trade negotiations, while on the way to the Mississippi bands to discuss aid.
- The Ice Nation and all other nations have a deep respect for the Dine. It is unlikely any other nation would be able to host the gathering Toklo is attending.
- Ruling over most of Mexico and Spain
- Growth orientated.
- Claim rights to Europe because of the “Colon (Columbus) Myth”
- Often creat tension in the world because of aggression.
- Several enemies, most notably the Apache do not care for them.
- Rules over much of South America, Portugal, and Italy.
- Expansionist, but not to the level they once were
- They have spread to other continents, including Africa, but have since stepped back from this as they developed an allyship with the Zulu in the creation of the Free Nations.
- Currently trying to push into the Hawai’ian Empire to break the monopoly.
The Free Nations,
- Caribbean Countries and several African Coastal Lands.
- Mixed Central American tribes and African Tribes.
- The two combined when caught between the Inca and Zulu Expansions and the war of the Eastern Ocean.
- When the two world powers signed a peace accord they each gave up land and peoples within a buffer zone on both continents. The two countries worked together to ensure the success of the newly independent nations, and have grown close in the process. The success of the Free Nations is believed to be the inspiration for the Zulu granting the European Islands their independence.
- Control over most of the Pacific Polynesian Islands.
- They have combined most of the Polynesian and other Islander groups into a single Empire, but not all.
- They block most expansionist attempts from both sides of the Pacific.
- They also hold a trade monopoly across the Pacific, the monopoly is only broken by the Ice Nation in the Arctic.
- Because of this, they are commonly referred to as the Nation of Gatekeepers.
- Not much is known about the full state of the Africa continent by Toklo, but he knows the Zulu were the first to leave.
- They are currently debating on leaving the Islands (United Kingdom) to grant them independence, causing tension as other countries are likely to try and step in as the English are seen as backward and unable to rule themselves. There are several smaller tribes within the Islands and it will likely fracture.
- They were inspired to do all of this by their success with the Inca in the Free Nations
- They are responsible for the end of European expansion when they invaded the United Kingdom.
- Seen as a mass of separate backwaters to be claimed by the nation’s of the world, a belief that has been both challenged and stoked now that the Zulu are leaving the Islands.
- Refugee problems are likely as they disseminate in diaspora due to the possibility of a coming war.
- Holders on to a strange blood/cannibal cult (Christianity).
- The many countries of the world are trying to decide how to handle the potential refugee problems and basic poverty there.
- Attempts to bring stability and charity to many parts of the world. They have spent much of their time bringing help and aid to the world’s poor.
- They feel a connection to Europe as they share the foundations of their religion, though Ethiopia is using missionaries and aid to try and bring them out of their primitive ways.
- Like the Dine, they seem to be a force of good.
Other African Nations,
- Mentioned not named, though. Most of the discussion is currently surrounding the Americas and their reaction to the European Problem. Not much is known about this side of the world.
Other Asian Nations,
- Even less is known about Asia. The Mongol Empire is breaking apart, and the last of the empire is attempting to work with the Ice Nation to regain power.
Other American Nations,
- Commonly called The People’s they are the many smaller nations around the Americas that remain unconnected to any named nation. There are many diverse groups that each hold their own place in the world. Toklo has only studied so many. Even when part of the current nations many flourish with their own cultures.
Lakota and Numinu Nations,
- Comanche = Numinu
- Protecting several smaller nations around them in exchange for taxes basically.
- Only combined here because Toklo sees their representatives together, and he does not know enough about either at this point to know much about them.
- Mid Southwest of North America
- Often ready to go to war with the Aztec. Have been on and off at war with the Aztecs for generations.
- Worked with the Mississippi Bands several times after Hurricane Disasters. They have offered to bring the Ice Nation and Ethiopian representatives safely there for purely humanitarian reasons.
- Is mentioned they have Airships. Though they are not the only with airships, as Africa and a few other nations have worked with the tech, the Apache are the undisputed first adopters of the tech.
- Mississippi Bands
- Not much is mentioned about them except they recently had a national disaster in the form of a hurricane.
- They are the stated reason for Toklo and his family’s trip to negotiate trade.
- They have mounds Toklo wants to see.
- From the Ice Nation in a gathering about how to handle the “European Problem.”
- He is only in the southwest because his first wife Meriwa has stopped for trade negotiations before heading to the Mississippi Bands to negotiate aid for hurricane relief.
- His daughter and second wife are negotiating with the Mongols in their wish to join the Nation.
- He obeys his wife in all things and will defend her in even the smallest slight, as she runs the family. But he is more than he appears, often working on the political angles for the Ice Nation.
- Men might not have all the rights of women but are still well respected in the Ice Nation.
- A representative of the Republic,
- Tries to get information from Toklo about the Salish Adoption and how the Ice Nation will swing during the upcoming war in Europe knowing that it will spread across the world.
- Wants her nation to come out ahead in the coming conflict and is willing to do what it takes to ensure that.
- Toklo is not her biggest fan, but he respects her ability to reach her position and the fierce love she has for her people.
- Apache Representative. She will be leading Toklo’s group into Mississippi.
- She hates the Aztec and makes it known.
- Has family in the Mississippi Bands.
- Airship owner.
- Toklo’s first wife, a powerful trader, runs her family with an iron fist.
- In all ways the first wife, which means she is the head of the family in all ways. Toklo’s mother and aunts chose her for his wife, and she has chosen every other wife he has had.
- Uses her husband and children as she sees fit to marry into or befriend those that may have utility to her.
- Loves her husband and family, and respects Toklo’s contributions to the Nation even when they are separate from family goals.
- Toklo’s second wife, on a trip to test if the Mongols are serious about joining the Ice Nation.
- Respected diplomate in her own right which was why Meriwa chose her as a second wife.
- In the US she would be considered a Transgendered Woman.
- Currently training the family’s daughter Uki to become a diplomat.
- a Nigisiti of Ethiopia.
- Has a soft heart, and only wants to do good in the world.
- More savvy then she appears.
- Toklo’s daughter with Meriwa, but traveling with her mother Tapeesa.
- A strong desire to make her family, especially her father, proud.
- Loves the idea of new things and traveling through those places she’s only read about in her life.
- Through Toklo she is a direct descendant of the original Matriarch.
- Bisexual but prefers women.
- The Inca and Zulu claim to not want war, but will likely not sit on the sidelines long if war develops. But both are tied in internal conflicts of unifying their homelands for the most part. The Free Nations will likely side with them.
- The Republic and Apache will try to move into the United Kingdom before the Aztec can, claiming that they need to “stabilize the region.” The Republic out of a desire for growth, the Apache out of a desire to harm the Aztec.
- The Aztec will likely use the Zulu leaving as an excuse to try and expand in Europe further. They claim they have been invited by the Scottish to come in with aid and guidance once the Zulu leave. They also use the Colon Myth to lay claim to all of Europe.
- The Ice Nation, Dine, and Ethiopia so far are neutral and only offering aid at the most.
- The Ice Nation holding control of all of the North are bordered with areas where fighting is likely, but they espouse a desire for a peaceful resolution.
- The European Problem, Unedited version of Story I using postcolonial terms for nations (mostly) Daniel Hansen
- Time of Nativia, Edited version of Story I using pre-colonial terms for nations (mostly) Daniel Hansen
- Letters to Father Toklo I Daniel Hansen